Saturday, August 25, 2007

Gangs of the East End

After many delays, I can finally update my blog! A couple of weeks ago, I took a walk on the "Gangs of the East End," -talked a lot about the Kray brothers (most powerful and famous crime family from the 50s and 60s). We also talked about the Fascists who were a large presence in the area in the 30s. In fact, the old pub across from the Bethnal Green tube station (the area where I used to live) was their meeting place in the 30s. Most of the walk took place in Bethnal Green so since I no longer live there, I thought I would finally take a few pictures. As Jessie and Bill will tell you, it's hardly posh!


The Museum of Childhood (I used to walk past this everyday to get home)
The "Museum Passage" between the museum and a small park- one of the few attractive places in Bethnal Green
St John's at Bethnal Green- it looks attractive but you can't see the bum sleeping on the stairs!
The Blind Beggar pub in Whitechapel- the Krays shot an associate here
St Matthew's church- where the funeral of the Krays was held
A former church in Bethnal Green where one of the Krays got married
From the Fascists to the Communists- this building was where a major conference of the Bolsheviks was held in 1907- both Lenin and Trotsky were there